Over the last weeks I was never really happy with what I painted. I did a lot of practising sketches for anatomy but I wasn’t able to produce something I actually liked. I even started a portrait that now sits on the top of my shelf because I just can’t look at it anymore. The struggle is real. Today I made a second attempt and this went soooo well. I can’t wait to show you the result once it is finished.
How many of these struggles do you experience? I’m curious!
- Never having the right material at home when you have a good idea.
- Having the material but no idea what to paint.
- The fear of the blanc canvas.
- The smudges pencils make on canvas when touching water.
- Trying to copy a reference image onto a canvas.
- Not being able to decide which colours to use. Acrylics? Oil? Watercolours?
- Not really knowing how to use all those different materials but using them anyway.
- Brushes that lose hair.
- Little brush hair all over your painting that you can’t get off the canvas.
- Your own hair covered in paint.
- Your face covered in paint.
- Basically inventing a new nail polish.
- Not noticing that you are covered in paint and then asking yourself how many people have seen you with that blue on your cheek.
- Water that got so dirty from paint that you ruin the bright areas of your painting.
- Being too lazy to change the water.
- Knocking your water glass over and covering your whole table in black soup.
- Accidentally dipping your brush into your cup of tea.
- Accidentally drinking out of your painting glass.
- Putting the wrong colour in the wrong place.
- Trying to wipe this colour off but thereby ruining the whole picture.
- Getting too much colour out of a tube.
- Getting no colour at all out of the tube.
- Trying different needles, pencils etc. to get it working again.
- Colours that have separated into the pigments and something unknown.
- Colours that are already solid because you forgot about them.
- Paper that gets wavy when soaked in water.
- Not being content with what you are painting at all.
- Hoping that it gets better.
- It’s not getting better.
- Sitting on your chair defeated.
- With your back aching.
- And your head tired.
- Wanting to tear that canvas into pieces.
- Instead just turning it around so that you don’t have to see it anymore.
- Finally overpainting your first attempt.
- Getting loads of comissions from your family.
- Not having any paintings at home because you gave all of them away.
- Trying a new style.
- Having to answer the question: “What is that?”.
- If is is an abstract painting.
- If it actually should have been a person you both know.
- If it is the person himself you tried to paint.
- The smell of oil colours.
- After three weeks. In your one room apartment.
- The drying process of oil colours.
- Just having one little corner of a painting you actually like.
- Trying to do the whole painting in that way.
- Not liking this one corner anymore.
- Never being able to stop painting so that you sit there at 3am.
- Falling asleep with your head on the palette, a brush in your hair and your arm on the canvas. Good night.
All of these things have happened to me. With which of them do you identify?
Have a lovely weekend.